What is an eye bank an eye bank is a non-profit community organization run by a board of director. The day-today affairs of an eye bank are managed by a medical director, an eye bank manger and eye bank technicians. Their Functions Are :
- Public education about eye donation and eye banking
- Tissue harvesting
- Tissue evaluation
- Tissue preservation
- Tissue distribution
Their Functions Are : There are an estimated 3.0 million corneal blind in India. Another 25,000, are added annually. The requirement of corneal surgeriesper annum are about 20,000. As only 50% of the cornea retrieved can actually or discarded around 400,000 eyes have to be retrievedby our eye bank spread across the country. About 80 member eye banks of the eye bank association of India retrieved only 22,000 eyes 2002. Clearly, the gap between the requirement and the present achievement is very large. Most eye bank depend on voluntary eye donation from homes which aregeographically scattered. Also eye donation calls are sporadic. Facilities of PunarJot :
- Free eye donation Exhibition.
- Free Corneal Transplant Surgery.
- Free Distribution of Cornea.
- Free eye testing in eye checking camp free.
- Leathered drama and video Cassette.
- 100% rebate from income Tax. For people who help or support to eye bank.
First & only eye bank in punjab state in NGO sector: As pioneer, work, hard work and concept of providing totally free corneal transplantation to all patients. Punjab Govt. registered only one eye bank under human organ transplantation act 1994 in NGO sector in 2008 May, rest three are in Govt. Medical Colleges & after through inspection and investigation. Eye bank run by Punarjot Eye Bank Society directed by Dr. Ramesh more then 2900 free corneal transplantation are conducted free of cost. Last few years. Recently advanced keratoplasty techniques, DLAK, endothelial keratoplasty have been introduced for better results. The results and number of keratoplasty till date is out standing in Punjab state and in region in providing free corneal transplantation operations. In addition to free operations, free food to patients and attendant provided by Punarjot Eye Bank Society, Patients have to bear only serological test and post operative medicines about Rs. 2000/- very poor patient are exempted from these charges also. Eye Bank service is of Punarjot Eye Bank Society, is of International standard having speculor eye bank of USA, having very good net working throughout Punjab state, at almost every District level, Tehsil level, small town, where NGO`s are trained in eye donation, motivation, procurement by their doctors and send eye ball to eye bank. Even referred corneal blind patients to base hospital for free surgeries, total transparency and free corneal transplantation, right attitude, attention to serve the cause with humbleness, devotion and missionary approach created very good response in eye donation movement. Till date no financial assistance from govt under programme of control of blindness for corneal & cataract surgeries taken contribution linked funds from Punarjot Eye Bank Society (Regd.) Public co-operation and free services from Dr. Ramesh Superspeciality Eye & Laser Centre, played good role in their project to promote eye donation movement to present level.
Eye Bank Networking in Punjab:
- NETTARDAN SAMITI, BARETA [MANSA]
- EYE DONATION ASSOCIATION, NAWAN SHEHAR, SBS NAGAR
- EYE DONATION ASSOCIATION, HOSHIARPUR
- PUNARJYOTI EYE DONATION SOCIETY, RAMPURAPHUL, BATHINDA
- SUNAM NETTARDAN SAMITI, SUNAM, SANGRUR
- NETTARDAN SAMITI, DHURI, SANGRUR
- MAA CHINTPURNI SEWA MANDAL EYE DONATION SOCIETY (REGD.) MAUR MANDI
- BABA SUKHANAND EYE DONATION SOCIETY, TAPPA, DISTT. BARNALA
- BARNALA EYE DONATION SOCIETY, BARNALA
- PUNARJOT EYE DONATION INFORMATION & COLLECTION CENTRE, AMRITSAR
- PUNARJOT EYE BANK SABHA MANDI AHMEDGARH, SANGRUR
- PUNARJOT EYE BANK SABHA, MALERKOTLA, SANGRUR
- NETARDANI MUKHTIAR YADGARI TRUST REGD. JHUNER (SANGRUR)
- PUNARJOT EYE BANK SABHA, KAPURTHALA
- RAM SHARNAM SANSTHA LUDHIANA
- PUNARJOT EYE BANK SABHA MALAUD, LUDHIANA
- LIONS CLUB LUDHIANA
- ROTARY CLUB RAIKOT, LUDHIANA
- PUNARJOT EYE BANK SABHA JAGRAON [LUDHIANA]
- BHAI GHANIYA JI CHERITABLE TRUST LUDHIANA
Contribution in National programe of control of Blindness: More than free 20,000 cataract surgeries conducted in last 16 years various camps routine. Hospital is well equipped with all latest equipment in providing state of all facilities to all needy patients with good care & follows up. No financial assistance for cataract surgeries (IOL Phaco / SICS) taken from state govt. under NPCB programme. Apart from national programme of control of blindness to create constant interest in Eye Donation movement & blindness control programme to treat the monotony of public for eye donation various social project are under taken along with like deaddiction, family welfare operation camps, Women Rural Development programme, AIDS awareness child development programme, Tree plantation, population control, water preservation, various health mela are organised in addition to seminars.
Brief work profile & achievements:
- Working at grass root level
- Working while stay in village when terrorism in Punjab was on peak.
- Vast Clinical experience 16 years.
- Free cataract surgeries approximately more than 20,000
- Pioneer in eye banking movement in Punjab
- Only Eye Bank Registered under Human Organ Transplant Act (HOTA) in NGO sector in Punjab State.
- More than 2900 corneal transplant done totally free of cost (Not even single penny)
- Regular Health education journal (Punarjot) publication
- Innovating community diabetic retinopathy screening under project "SANJH"
- Total transparent dedicated services to humanity on selfless bases approach.
- Main area of work focus is rural area and remote area and poor and needy patients who can't afford high-tech surgeries.